Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made up this soup one day when I wanted something fast but homemade and tasty. You can substitute other smoked sausage or even chorizo, but this is what I had on hand and what was used in the recipe. I like to crumble corn chips in this soup and it's good with a little sour cream, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced precooked smoked turkey sausage (one long link)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if using other sausage, you may not need olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and black pepper
- In a large saucepan saute the smoked sausage, onions and garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine thoroughly and simmer together for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with corn chips and a little sour cream on the side.
Very good and satisfying soup! Quick to put together and I almost always have these ingredients on hand, which is a plus. We ate this with crushed tortilla chips and light sour cream. I will definitely be making this again!
Mmmmmm! This was good! Thanks for a different and satisfying weekday lunch. We ate this with Fritos and it was delicious!
This recipe was VERY easy. I used chicken as I didn't have any sausage on hand but I don't think my taste buds suffered one bit! I put all the ingredients into the pot and fed my 1 year old daughter. By the time she was done eating and ready for her bath, the soup was ready! I put her to sleep and my hubby and I had a lovely dinner together. Thanks for a great night at home! The soup was delicious and we will DEFINATLEY make it again! (loved the touch of cumin by the way!)