2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In ' On Top of Spaghetti...' by Johanne Killeen and George Germon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 center-cut pork chops (total weight 1 to 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet Italian sausage, halved horizontally
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 plump garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups pureed canned tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, rinds (or end bits of Pecorino Romano)
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1Make the meatballs: In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, bread, and milk.
- 2Add the cheese, basil, parsley, egg, and salt.
- 3Mix gently but thoroughly.
- 4Form into small meatballs, no more than 1 1/2 inches in diameter; set aside (can cover and refrigerate while you are making the sauce).
- 5Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stockpot.
- 6Add pork chops and sausages and brown on all sides.
- 7Transfer pork chops to a plate to make room for the onions.
- 8Toss the onions into the pot with the garlic, fennel seeds, and salt.
- 9Saute over medium heat stirring frequently and scraping up any bits left behind by the pork and sausages, until the onions are soft and golden.
- 10Put the pork chops back in the pot with any juices on the plate.
- 11Add the tomatoes, 4 1/2 cups water, and tomato paste.
- 12Drop in a few cheese rinds or ends if you have any.
- 13Cover the pot, bring to a boil; decrease the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 14Gently drop in the meatballs, 1 at a time, shaking the pot a bit to encourage them to nestle in with the pork and sausage and to make room for the addition of more meatballs.
- 15After all the meatballs have been added, continue to simmer, covered, for 1 hour longer, or until the pork chops are very tender.
- 16To finish the gravy, transfer the pork chops to a cutting board.
- 17Remove and discard the bones, chop up the meat, and return it to the sauce.
- 18Keep warm over low heat while you cook the pasta.
- 19Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 20Generously salt the water and drop in the spaghetti.
- 21Cook, stirring often, until al dente; drain pasta.
- 22To serve--start with a large, heated deep platter or pasta bowl.
- 23Cover the bottom with a ladleful of gravy and a good sprinkling of Pecorino Romano.
- 24Top with half the pasta.
- 25Add more gravy and cheese, the remaining pasta, and another layer of gravy and cheese.
- 26Serve immediately with more grated cheese.
- 27Pass the meatballs, sausage, pork, and additional gravy in a bowl at the table.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Gravy With Sausages and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.0
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 131.3 mg
- Sodium 1175.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 50.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese