1/1 Photo of Sunday Gravy
3 hrs 45 mins
Cher in Texas, Riffraff, and Bratty 1 have inspired me to post this recipe. It is a very humble dish and is usually my Sunday dinner. It is the Sunday dinner of many Italian-Americans. I know there are probably a million ways to make this dish--please give my version a try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck (85% lean/15%fat)
- 4 slices white bread (make fresh crumbs in blender or food processor)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper (a few grinds)
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- flour (for dredging)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Heat oil in very large Dutch oven.
- 2Add garlic and onions and saute until soft.
- 3Add tomato paste and stir to combine.
- 4Add crushed tomatoes and spices.
- 5Stir bring to boil, lower heat to low--cover and simmer.
- 6Meanwhile combine all meatball ingredients (except for flour and oil).
- 7Form into balls about 2-1/2 inches in diameter.
- 8Dredge meatballs in flour.
- 9Fry meatballs in oil in skillet a few at a time until browned on all sides (not necessary to cook through they will cook in the sauce) Add fried meatballs from skillet directly to simmering sauce.
- 10Stir and bring sauce back to a simmer.
- 12Place sausage in pot and cover with water.
- 13Bring to a boil and boil about 5 minutes to remove some of the fat.
- 14Brown boiled sausage in skillet.
- 15Place browned sausage in simmering sauce.
- 16Bring sauce back to simmer---cover and continue simmering for 2 hours over low heat---stir occassioanlly.
- 17Remove meatballs and sausage from pot and place on serving dish.
- 18Toss sauce with cooked pasta--You will have enough sauce to coat two pounds of cooked pasta.
- 19This freezes very well!
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.1
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 1206.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 33.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning