Recipe by DrGaellon
"Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen," episode 103, "Feeding a Crowd, Italian-Style". Recipe calls for "Country-style pork spareribs" but RZ did not have nutritional data for them entered that way. Make sure you use country-style ribs; baby backs don't add much flavor and will be dry.
Top Review by 3LittleBirds
I got this recipe from the Cook's Country Magazine and have been using it to feed crowds in my home for the last three years. We use crushed tomatoes instead of the combo of diced/sauce. This recipe fills my 7 quart crock pot right up to the brim, so sometimes we only use one 28 oz can of tomatoes instead of two. People ALWAYS ask me for this recipe.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 lbs pork spareribs, bone in and excess fat removed (country-style)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausages in a large pot. When browned on all sides, remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add onions to pot and saute 6-8 minutes until onions are quite soft and caramelized, and the liquid from the onions has deglazed the pot bottom. Add oregano and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes until it loses the raw flavor. Add red wine and stir well, scraping up any fond on the bottom of the pot. Transfer contents of pot into slow cooker.
- Add tomato sauce and drained tomatoes to slow cooker. Add drained sausages, flank steak and country-style ribs, covering completely with sauce. Cook 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Remove spareribs and flank steak. Slice flank steak into 2" pieces across the grain, then shred both steak and pork with two forks. Discard bones and gristle. Slice sausages in half lengthwise. Return all the meats to the sauce and stir well. Add basil and stir. Serve over pasta.