Recipe by Karen=^..^=
My husband begs for this in the fall and winter. The whole family loves the smell of this cooking while watching Sunday Football games :) Versatile as far as the veggies go...Leave the potatoes out and make some mashed potatoes on the side...great with the rich brown gravy!
Top Review by ~*Miss Diggy*~
Super easy roast. I love the gravy mixture, which I used the kitchen bouquet, and it was wonderful!!! I drowned everything with it! And even dipped my french bread into it! I couldnt get enough! Thank you for a GREEEEEAAAAT recipe!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless bottom round roast or 3 1⁄2 lbs rump roast
- 4 -6 medium potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 -4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks or 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- dried garlic
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 packets beef gravy mix or browning sauce (gravy master or kitchen bouquet)
- flour (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Place roast in large roasting pan or baking dish.
- Arrange vegetables around roast.
- Sprinkle meat and vegetables generously with basil, dried garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add water to pan about 1/2 inch to an inch up.
- About every 20 minutes or when water is diminishing and turning darker, add a little more water so it doesn't steam away completely.
- You can pour this over the roast if if is getting too dry on top.
- Allow to cook 20-30 minutes per pound or until your desired doneness and when veggies are tender.
- Remove roast to carving platter and remove veggies with a slotted spoon to their own serving dish.
- To make gravy, either prepare gravy mix as directed on package but use liquid from pan as substition for all of some of the water indicated.
- OR, in a sauce pan, whisk together 1/4 cup of pan drippings and 1/4 cup flour until smooth.
- Heat over low heat until mixture starts to bubble.
- Add 2 cups of water or a combination of water/dripping adding to 2 cups very slowly to flour mixture.
- Simmer 5 minutes, remove from heat and add 1 tsp.
- (or more) of Gravy Master.
- Stir in some salt and pepper to taste and serve with sliced beef.
- Slice beef after it has sat for about 15 minutes to retain juices.