Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from the actress, Judy Collins.
- 1 (16 ounce) package yellow split peas, rinsed
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (9 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix (recommended is Lipton)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, rinsed and sliced
- 2 large vidalia onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 large leek, stripped of their outer leaves, rinsed, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, combine peas, broth, water, and soup mix. Stir well. Add carrots, onions, celery, leeks, garlic, mustard, tamari, and balsamic vinegar. If mixture seems too thick, pour in a little more water.
- Bring to a full boil over medium, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 2 hours, stirring and skimming surface occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let sit for an hour at room temperature.
- Puree, in several batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.