Cook2 hrs 30 mins
I came up with this when I was tired of the typical onion soup flavored roast beef recipe, but not in the mood for the robust red wine version I use. My kids liked it a lot (they range in age from 1 to 14 and even the baby ate it up!) I serve it with scalloped potatoes and a green salad. We like it for Sunday Dinner after church.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a deep oven casserole dish or pot, that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Rub the roast with Lawrey's salt.
- When oil is hot, brown roast on all sides in the hot oil; look for a nice brown crispy texture.
- When all sides are nicely browned, remove roast to a platter.
- Put allspice, cinnamon, bay leaves and shallots in the hot oil and stirfry until shallots begin to brown; do not burn.
- Pour in beef broth and stir, scraping sides and bottom of pan.
- Return roast and any drippings that collected on the platter to the pot, turn once, cover tightly and put in oven (I don't even peek for the first 2 hours).
- Roast until meat pulls apart, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours- check closely.
- Remove roast to serving platter.
- Pick out the 6 allspice berries, 2 bay leaves and cinamon stick, skim fat off and pour broth over the roast and serve.
Excellent. I'm craving it again already. Very nice,unusual yet completely well suited flavours in exactly the right amounts. We will be making this one again!
We all enjoyed this one as a family. Grea taste, to accomplish the beef we used mediterrainen vegetables,definately use this one again. The only item we couldn't find was allspice berries, as we live in England. But were going to try and find it. Thank you for the recipe.
I made this last night and it was a huge hit. I actually (after searing) cooked it in my crockpot. Low for 3.5 hours and then high until it was done (1.5-2hrs). Absolutely delicious. Served with Mashed Potatoes and Peas/Carrots. We (two people) ate 2.5lbs all by ourselves it was so good. Thank you for this great recipe. I'll definitely make it again.