Delicious and moist, this chicken makes a beautiful centerpiece on any dinner table, and is incredibly easy to prepare.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Clean chicken cavity and rinse thoroughly.
- Place in a large roasting pan.
- Place half of chopped onion inside the of the chicken, and other half around chicken as a bed.
- Add chopped potatoes to the bed around the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken and vegetables.
- Season entire dish with rosemary, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Rub herbs into the chicken, evenly coating and pushing some of it under the skin on the breast.
- Bake chicken for approximately 2 hours.
- Rub butter over skin of chicken and bake another few minutes or until chicken is done (perhaps another 1/2 hour).
Yummy! Baked a 5 pound bird at 300 degrees for 2 hours then increased to 375 for the last hour. Used fresh rosemary instead of ground. Would use a rack next time for the chicken and potatoes so some of the fat could drain off. Would increase the potatoes and red onion next time as the family loved them. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
This was excellent. I thought it would be too strong a taste with 2 tbsp rosemary, so I used 1 tbsp instead. It probably would have been even better using 2 as you suggest. I also added two whole garlic cloves inside the cavity with the onion. I will be making this again. Thanks for posting.