Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A yummy crockpot meal from taste of home.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 broiler (3 lbs.) or 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut up and skin removed (3 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; remove and keep warm. Gradually add broth to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, layer the carrots, celery and onion; sprinkle with rosemary. Add the chicken and hot broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken juices run clear, vegetables are tender and stew is bubbling. Stir in peas.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary. Combine the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook on high for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumplings comes out clean [do not lift the lid while simmering].
I thought it was terrible.