Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can use Italian sausages in place of the pork breakfast sausages, all amounts can be adjusted to taste. The jalapeno peppers are only optional I like to add them in.
Top Review by Grease
This is exactly what I was looking for! Early in the week I stopped for a coffee and, on a whim, a McD breakfast burrito. How hard can these be to make at home? I quick search turned up your recipe and the results were outstanding! (I think I overcooked the eggs but you warned me!) Next time I think I will add a little chopped sweet red pepper to the mix and watch the pan a little more attentively. By the way, in my opinion, both Jimmy Dean's and Bob Jone's bulk sausage are far superior to what is offered locally here in Minnesota. Thanks Kittencal!
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb pork sausage (casings removed)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped (or use yellow onion)
- 1⁄4 cup canned green chili (can use more)
- 7 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (or use 18% table cream)
- salt and black pepper
- 6 slices American cheese (sliced in half)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas (warmed)
- 6 tablespoons picante sauce (can use more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in a 200 degree oven while preparing the sausage/egg mixture.
- Melt butter in the skillet; add in sausage with jalapeno peppers (if using) cook over medium heat until the meat is browned, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Add/stir in green onions and green chilies; heat through.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with cream, then season with salt and black pepper; pour over the sausages in the skillet; cover with a lid and cook until eggs are set (no need to stir and do not overcook the eggs!).
- For each tortilla; place a half slice of cheese in the center of the warmed tortilla, then spoon about 1/3 cup of the sausage/egg mixture over the cheese.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon picante sauce then top with the remaining half of the slice of cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining burritos (if desired you can keep the burritos warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.