Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 lime (juice)
- To soak beans quickly, cover them with generous amount of water, cover pot, bring water to boil and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove cover and allow beans to sit in the liquid for one hour.
- In hot oil (1-2 Tb.), saute carrots, onions, celery, and garlic until onions are golden.
- Add cumin and jalepenos.
- When beans are ready to cook, add ham hocks to beans along with sauted vegetables, and chicken broth and enough water to cover.
- Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender.
- Drain the bean mixture and reserve cooking liquid.
- Puree beans and vegetables.
- Add sherry and lime juice and enough of the reserved liquid to make a thick soup.
- Can be served with chopped corriander or sour cream or lemon slice.
Very good soup! It was just right on a rainy, blah day. Made for "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag.
Delicious -- thanks for sharing
MMMmmm good yes.. I made this for lunch. It was -19°F. chill factor here.. and this soup did the trick. Kept us nice and toasty. I added oregano and omitted the sherry. I chopped two fresh jalapeños with the seeds(Those peppers were hot!). I cheated and used 3 cans of black beans, drained. Delicious soup.. thanks.