Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lucille's Roadhouse, Weatherford, Oklahoma
- canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large apples, unpeeled and finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- powdered sugar
- Pour oil to the depth of 2 inches in a Dutch oven; heat to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine flour and next 3 ingredients.
- Stir in chopped apple, tossing gently to coat.
- Make a well in the center of mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, and eggs until blended.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop batter by heaping tbsp into hot oil.
- Fry fritters in batches, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle fritters with powdered sugar.