Prep 6 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bursting with a sweet but tart lemony flavor, these gorgeous and refreshing bars have plenty of pizzazz.
- 158.51 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour, divided
- 78.07 ml powdered sugar
- 59.14 ml regular rolled oats
- 103.53 ml unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375*. Coat an 8x8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine 2/3 cups flour, powdered sugar and oats. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on high until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth. Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour topping over crust. Bake until lightly brown and center is set, about 15 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 16 squares. Dust with confectioners sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
These are great! I really love the usage of powdered sugar and rolled oats in the crust. The crust was really nice - easy to cut and not crumbly. I sprinkled the top of the lemon filling with a couple tablespoons of flaked coconut before baking and skipped the dusting of powdered sugar. I also cut the pan into 25 since that is what I usually do and did it without thinking :) Excellent recipe, would definitely make again. Made for PAC Spring 2009.
It's not that I'm looking for the perfect lemon bar, but rather that I just enjoy making new variations of it, & THESE SUNBURST LEMON BARS ARE GREAT, & I just know they'll be gone in no time once the group I'm hosting tonight sees them! I prefer NOT having the dusting of powdered sugar but did half of them that way to see how they go! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Lemon theme in My-3-Chefs]