Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A light soft crust bread great for sandwiches, rolls and just about anything you can throw at it. This recipe is perfect for the Sunbeam 5891.
- 3⁄4 cup water (can use juice, milk)
- 1 egg (beaten with liquid mix)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour (if using all-purpose add 2 Tablespoons of Vital Wheat Gluten (box says 4 teaspoons per loaf)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast (bread machine)
- Place water (liquid component) with egg, butter, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan and bring up to heat. Do not completely melt the butter or you will scramble the egg.
- Pour into bottom of machine and add gluten.
- do not stir or mix!
- Add flour right on top.
- Now it's time to add the yeast. Now I just dump it on the top. The proper method is to make a well, place the yeast in that well and then cover the yeast with flour.
- Since this has egg in it you can't use the timer so the placement of the yeast doesn't matter.
- Set to sandwich (two rises) and your done.
- You need to test your machine for done-ness. In my machine this recipe is done 19 minutes earlier than the cycle.
- Remove when done and let set on a rack for 20-30 minutes. Slice and eat.
- You can add 2-3 T of different spices for different bread flavors.
- For nice muffin rolls- set the machine to dough and remove after it is done kneading. cut dough in half and then half those pieces until you end up with 2" pieces. Flatten slightly and place into lightly sprayed muffin tins. Let rise until doubled in size and bake on 350 until golden brown.