Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tired of potatoes, or grits, or pancakes for breakfast? Why not have some rice!
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- In a 12-inch skillet on medium heat add the bacon fat, green onion and garlic. Saute until garlic is light brown in color. Stir in the cooked rice, water, liberal amounts of salt and pepper, and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 indentations in the top of the rice mixture. Break 1 egg into a cup and then transfer egg to indentation in rice. Repeat with the remaining eggs in each of their spots. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and bacon over all.
- Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until eggs are set and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
I'm so proud to be the first to review this recipe. I have to admit to some concern prior to making this as was just not sure how it would turn out. Well, have to tell you it was very good and pretty easy to make as I had left over rice from the night before already prepared. I did cut the recipe in half for 2 of us, I used an Italian mix shredded cheese as that's what I had on hand, then added a some red bell pepper and some fresh chopped cilantro to the mix, next time might even add a little jalapeno for some extra zing. Be careful not to over steam the eggs past your desired doneness. A very good recipe as it stands and lends itself to a wide variety of options. Made for Spring PAC 2013