Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The dry-packed tomatoes rehydrate in this quickly made soup, eliminating the need to steep them.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh cheese tortellini (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped bok choy
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Add pasta and bok choy; simmer 7 minutes or until pasta is done. Discard bay leaf.
I was hesitant about the large amount of sundried tomatoes in this recipe, but they do add a lot of character to this soup. The tomatoes add an earthy, complex flavor and wonderful color. Very good!