Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nice variation to 'cheese sticks'. Found in Family Circle.
- 12 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup bottled marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Remove cheese from wrappers. Cut each cheese stick crosswise into thirds. With a small knife, cut a thin opening along the length of each piece, being careful not to cut completely through.
- If tomatoes are not pliable, soak in boiling water for 5 minutes. Place them in a stack and slice stack crosswise into 6 thin slices for a total of 36 each, about same length as your cheese pieces.
- Gently tuck one tomato slice into a piece of cheese. Repeat, using all tomato and cheese pieces.
- Beat 2 of the eggs lightly. Place 1 cup of the bread crumbs in shallow dish.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, coat 18 of the nuggets; dip all 18 in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Return nuggets to egg for a second round of coating and then to bread crumbs, tossing to cover completely with crumbs.
- Repeat for remaining 18 nuggets, using remaining 2 eggs and 1 cup bread crumbs.
- Beginning with the nuggets coated first, fry 5 or 6 in a batch for 1 minute, until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Place on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Keep warm in 200F oven while frying remaining nuggets.
- Heat marinara sauce in microwave for 1 minute. Serve nuggets with sauce for dipping.