Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious vegan version of the classic Italian omelette. The sundried tomatoes REALLY add a wonderful depth of flavor in this. Feel free to try different veggies in this too. Chopped broccoli, asparagus or spinach would be a nice substitute for the roasted peppers. NOTE: I have made this and skipped the broiling step. Just leave in the oven another 5-10 minutes to make sure it's firm.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large roasted pepper (red or yellow)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, crumble the tofu through your fingers until it resembles ricotta cheese. Be sure to sqeeze out all the lumps.
- Mix in the soy sauce, mustard, nutritional yeast and turmeric and combine well.
- In a small (8-inch) skillet, saute the onions in the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the Roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme, and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add the garlic saute for 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice, mix and remove from heat.
- Transfer the cooked onion mixture to the tofu and combine well, foldin basil leaves.
- Place the tofu back into the skillet and press down firmly in place.
- Cook in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to the broiler to brown the top, about two minutes.
- Let the frittata sit for 10 minute before serving.
- Carefully cut into 4 slices and lift each piece with a pie server to prevent it from falling apart.