Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A scrumptious risotto recipe I can't get enough of!
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring stock to a simmer. While the stock is heating up, drain sun-dried tomatoes, reserving the oil. Coarsely chop tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons tomato oil, add onion and saute until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add rice to the pan and stir until white spots begin to appear in the center of the grains, about 1 minute. Spoon a ladle full of the vegetable stock into the pan and cook on low until all of the stock is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue adding stock one ladle full at a time until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Add cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of remaining tomato oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and serve.
This had good flavor combinations, but I thought there was a little too much cheese and it kind of "drowned" the risotto. The prep could not have been easier. Very rich. Thanks!
I loved the basil and sun-dried tomatoes in this, a nice way to dress up risotto. I felt that it was a bit too salty though with all the cheese and stock (we didn't add any extra salt too). I would probably replace some of the stock with water or use a low-sodium stock next time. Thanks for posting!
*Reviewed during ZWT4 for Family Picks* Loved it. Great flavours to add to risotto and I liked the addition of mozzarella cheese with the parmesan cheese. I used semi-dried tomatoes that were packed in oil for this recipe. I probably added extra tomatoes and I'm glad that I did. I made 1/2 the recipe and kept the whole onion. Probably made about 4 cups of cooked risotto ...so the full recipe would yield around 8 cups. Photo also being posted.