Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lightly flavored, smooth, creamy risotto featuring sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. If you've never tried risotto before, this is an easy recipe to follow and produces a scrumptious dish.
- Pour olive oil into a very large pan or deep, large based pot and heat at medium.
- On a second burner, warm the chicken stock in a pot on medium heat.
- Once hot, add onion and salt. Carmelize onion or cook until soft.
- When onion is transparent, add garlic and sun dried tomato. Cook until garlic is soft.
- Add risotto rice and stir until all of the rice is well coated. Let the rice "brown" -- let it cook in the pan for about two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add approximately two cups of the chicken stock. Add enough so that the rice is slightly covered by the stock and stir. As the rice cooks, the stock will be absorbed. Keep adding stock, one cup at a time. Add your pepper at any point while adding the stock.
- The key to risotto is to slowly add the stock as the rice "dries" in the pot and keep stirring. You do not want to walk away for 5 minutes!
- When you get near the end of cooking, you'll think you have a cup or more of stock left over. You don't. Use that stock! When you pour in the remaining stock, add the butter (optional).
- When fully cooked, your risotto will be creamy, look a little wet, and will be very slightly firm. Once you reach this stage, add your Parmesan cheese and mix.
- Serve and enjoy!