Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Zach Pierce won first prize in the "student" category of the 2003 Iowa Egg Council recipe contest.
- 1 large baking potato, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup cubed smoked ham
- 2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a pie pan.
- Arrange potato slices on bottom of pan. Brush potatoes with melted butter. Bake for 10 minutes (or longer for a crispier crust).
- For the filling: Layer sun-dried tomatoes, green onion, garlic, ham and cheese on top of potato crust.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over ingredients in pie pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for a few minutes, then slice and serve.
What a fabulous recipe! My mother in law requested a sun dried tomato quiche for mother's day. I did a search and this was the only one I found. But everyone loved it. She loved it and so did my picky father in law. I made a couple of changes. I cooked the potatoes initially for 15 minutes at 400. I thought they would crisp more that way. I also substituted red onions for the the green and used half and half rather than whipping cream to cut the fat content. It was absolutely delicious and I will make this again.
What a great breakfast we had with this. The sun-dried tomatoes really made this over the top and loved the potato crust! Hubby insists that I make it again. Thanks for sharing this winner, cookiedog.