Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Uses make-ahead condiments for quick assembly.
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pickled onion (Pickled Onions)
- 2 cups baby arugula, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces italian fontina, sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat a panini grill.
- Slice off the domed tops of the ciabatta rolls and discard; the rolls should now be about 1 inch thick; split the rolls horizontally.
- Spread the bottom halves with sun-dried tomato pesto, about 1 tablespoon each, letting it soak into the bread; season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the pickled onions and divide among the 4 sandwiches.
- Follow with a fistful of chopped arugula, then cover with a layer of fontina.
- Finish with a light drizzle of olive oil before covering with the top halves of the rolls.
- Grill the sandwiches for about 4 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the aroma of the cheese is apparent.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve hot.