Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This burger may not be for everybody but to me they are heaven!Serve with a green salad and baking stone fries or anything else you want. as cautioned be careful they are delicate but easily managed if you follow the suggested instructions Happy cookout! For a really good sundried tomatoe/Pesto sauce see Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto You may also make this burger omitting Sundried/Pesto and just add 2 tbsp Sundried tomatoes in oil, drained & chopped.
- 12 ounces lean hamburger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons onions, pureed
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (good quality)
- 1 teaspoon hot spice blend (Mrs Dash hot, Denzel's, Jamaican jerk, Peri-Peri cayenne or chili powder, your choice)
- salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons horseradish (not creamed)
- 2 kaiser rolls or 2 other hamburger buns
- 8 large mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 slices sweet onions (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweet mustard (optional)
- 2 slices tomatoes, large slices (optional)
- In a chopper (food processor) puree the onion, garlic, sundried tomatoe/pesto sauce Make 4 patties, 2 slightly larger than the other two.
- Spread the pesto mixture on the two larger patties, not quite to the edge.
- Spread 1 tsp of horseradish on each of the same two patties.
- Sprinkle the two patties with the hot spice blend.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cover with the remaining patties and really seal them.
- BBQ or pan fry (if you BBQ use the veggie stir fry pan lightly sprayed with oil, be careful they are delicate and fall apart easily because there is no filler to hold together) Meanwhile lightly toast your buns on the inside then cover each 1/2 bun with a slice of Mozzarello and let it get to the melt stage without burning the bun (do this just before the burgers are fully cooked) Sear both sides of the burgers on high heat and then cover your burgers with a lid to finish cooking turn heat to medium low.
- Put mushrooms beside the burgers, under the lid.
- Remove buns and add your condiments, tomatoe, mustard onion- whatever you like.
I love all the ingredients in this recipe and expected to like it more, but it tasted too much like meatloaf made with tomato sauce. Maybe the technique of pan frying with the lid on steamed the burgers and added to the texture "problem".
I will admit, we were skeptical about this one. But the flavors really melded together and the burgers were nice and juicy. We both wished we had another one! Thanks for a great recipe!