Recipe by Lady Dice
Rich and hearty pasta sauce..no cheese required!
Top Review by AmandaInOz
This turned out very well in the end. As the recipe is written, the sauce is very thick, and there's no way I could have cooked it for 1-2 hours without adding a good bit of liquid. It's also very sweet, and the sun-dried tomato does not come through in the flavour. To remedy this, I tossed the pasta in a bit of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes before adding the sauce, to which I had added 2T of light thickened cream to cut the sweetness, so the 4 star review is based on the end product which was very nice. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2008.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 5 -6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- fresh basil, Chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add Italian seasoning, chile flakes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sundried tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes and break up with spoon.
- Puree with a hand blender.
- Cook for 1-2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add Basil.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over pasta.