Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rich and hearty pasta sauce..no cheese required!
Make and share this Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 5 -6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- fresh basil, Chopped
- salt and pepper
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add Italian seasoning, chile flakes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sundried tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes and break up with spoon.
- Puree with a hand blender.
- Cook for 1-2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add Basil.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over pasta.
This turned out very well in the end. As the recipe is written, the sauce is very thick, and there's no way I could have cooked it for 1-2 hours without adding a good bit of liquid. It's also very sweet, and the sun-dried tomato does not come through in the flavour. To remedy this, I tossed the pasta in a bit of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes before adding the sauce, to which I had added 2T of light thickened cream to cut the sweetness, so the 4 star review is based on the end product which was very nice. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2008.
This sauce is great. I wanted it a bit creamier, so I added 2 tablespoons of pre-made alfredo sauce. It was looking for a sauce to compliment artichoke ravioli and this was great.