Recipe by Dancer^
This is a nice meal or a side dish, I have had it both ways. A meal is my favorite, with soft bread sticks and a small salad.
- 1 lb penne pasta, slightly undercooked till not quite al dente and rinsed in cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, italian bacon diced fine or 4 ounces substitute american bacon
- 2 onions, julienned thin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup roma tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, reconstituted in water, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in water, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup Chardonnay wine or 1⁄8 cup sauvignon blanc wine
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄8 cup fresh basil
- grated parmesan cheese, fontina, and romano
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute pancetta in olive oil over medium heat until crispy.
- Add onions and garlic and cook till soft, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and chopped fresh tomatoes.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and chicken stock; stir till blended and remove from heat.
- Stir in basil.
- Toss mixture with pasta.
- Sprinkle cheeses on pasta and toss again.
- Pour into a buttered casserole dish and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 15 minutes or till heated through.