Prep 8 mins
Cook 7 mins
I've adjusted this somewhat to suit out tastes. Choose ready-to-use sun-dried tomatoes from the produce section of your grocery store. They are more pliable than the dry kind that require rehydration. From 'WW 5-Ingredient-15 Minute Recipes" and = 6 points.
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray (butter flavored or plain)
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, packed without oil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried chives (optional) or 3 tablespoons fresh chives (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Combine egg whites and eggs, stirring with a whisk until foamy.
- Coat the skilled with cooking spray; pour egg mixture into pan. Cook 2 minutes or until edges begin to set.
- Slide front edge of a spatula between edge of omelet and pan. Gently lift edge of omelet, tilting pan to allow some uncooked egg mixture to come in contact with pan.Repeat procedure on opposite edge of omelet. Cook 3 minutes more or until center is almost set.
- Sprinkle tomatoes, basil, chives (if using), and cheese over omelet. Loosen omelet with a spatula; fold in half. reduce heat to low; cover and cook 1 minute.
- Carefully turn omelet over; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts. Gently slide omelet onto a serving plattter.
- Cut omelet in half, and serve immediately.
- Serving = 1/2 omelet wedge.
I liked your suggestion of using ready made sun dried tomatoes so I did. They made the dish so much nicer than ones in the oil. I also made a slight change to the recipe. I used the 2 eggs but also threw in 1 cup eggbeaters since I didn't want to hassle with egg whites. I mixed the dried herbs in the egg batter so they were part of the omelet and I finally found manchego cheese at Trader Joes in a Spanish Tapas package they were offering. Overall, fairly tasty but bland. Went well with the other tapas I was serving though so help to balance the flavors out a little.