Recipe by LizzieLou
this year for the holidays I made several different mustards and gave a selection as gifts. This one is one of my favorites. It's from the Small-Batch Preserving cookbook. I did it as a quadruple batch and it still worked out great. Prep time includes the overnight soaking time.
- 1⁄4 cup mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato (not the oil-packed ones)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- cover mustard seeds with warm water and then refrigerate overnight.
- next day:.
- drain and rinse seeds.
- put rinsed mustard seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, dry mustard, oil salt and sugar in food processor. Process until smooth and thickened (or whatever texture you'd liek your mustard).
- at this point you could put the mixture in an airtight container in the fridge.
- heat in a saucepan (add a little water to compensate for the evaporation that wil happen during heating) when warm place in clean canning jards and process in a waterbath for 10 minutes.