Recipe by Charlotte J
I bought a jar of sun dried tomatoes and thought I'd try this recipe.
Top Review by Lori Mama
This is soooo good! I love sun dried tomatoes and they certainly imparted a very robust flavor to the sauce. I only made half the batch, as it's only the two of us. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game.
- 8 1⁄2 ounces bella sun sun-dried tomatoes with Italian herbs, drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 56 ounces canned whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2⁄3 cup chablis or 2⁄3 cup other white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain dried tomatoes, reserving ¼ oil.
- Chop tomatoes, and set aside.
- Heat reserved oil in a dutch oven, sauté onion, celery, carrot and garlic in hot oil 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in dried tomatoes, wine fennel seeds, and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered over medium heat 1 hour or to desired consistency, stirring mixture occasionally.
- In food processor add half of sauce mixture and pulse 4 or 5 times or until mixture is chopped but not smooth.
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining half of sauce mixture.
- Serve over hot pasta.