Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This really adds flavor to hummus, which is already good. Hummus is a staple food in some countries because it contains vitamin B, carbohydrates, and minerals. This recipe makes 2 cups. I usually half the amount just for me. Adapted from The Garden of Vegan cookbook by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned are fine)
- 3⁄4 cup tahini
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs amino acids (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 -8 sun-dried tomatoes
- To rehydrate the sun dried tomatoes, soak in water, stock or vegetable juice, they will rehydrate within 1-2 hours. If you're in a hurry, pour boiling water over them and they'll be ready in 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together all the ingredients until smooth. Check seasoning, adjust to your taste.
- Makes about 2 cups.