Recipe by Tish
I found this bread in the Cholesterol Cures book and I couldn't help myself. it sounds so good!
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 6 -7 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and diced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons herbal salt substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the water, honey and yeast.
- Let stand in a warm place until the mixture foams, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of the flour, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- Let the batter rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oil, tomato paste, salt substitutite and enough flour to form a kneadable dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead for 5-8 minutes until the dough is elastic and less sticky.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil 2 9X5 loaf pans.
- Divide the dough in half, form each half into a loaf and place in the pans.
- Let rise for 20 minutes Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F.
- Bake the loaves for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Turn out onto wire racks and let cool before slicing.