From a really delightful book, "Risotto," by Judith Barrett and Norma Wasserman. This was a great way to use up my homemade sun-dried tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups chicken broth (or any good broth)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil (from container of sundried tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup onion, finely minced (or shallots or leeks or any combination)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, coarsely chopped (use tomatoes packed in oil)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese (rind removed, diced fine)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (use the best quality possible)
- 1Bring the broth to a steady simmer in a saucepan.
- 2In a 4-qt. dutch oven over moderate heat, heat the butter and oil (from sun-dried tomatoes). Add the onion and saute just until it begins to soften (about 2 minutes).
- 3Add the rice to the pan and stir for one minute, making sure the grains are all well coated. Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed.
- 4Begin to add the simmering broth one-half cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next half-cup, reserving about 1/4 cup to add at the end. Stir frequently to prevent rice from sticking.
- 5Add the sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste after the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes. Continue to add the broth, one-half cup at a time.
- 6After the rice is tender (about 18-25 minutes), add the final broth and the fontina, parsley and Parmesan. Stir for 1-2 minutes until cheeses are melted and combined with the rice.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sun-Dried Tomato & Fontina Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 698.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g