Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Using a pesto sauce you can make your own hummus. You can enjoy this on sandwichges, but it's great on crackers, too. Leftovers can be eaten with a spoon. Each serving is 1/4 cup. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat. This recipe is from Kathleen Tribble. I found this recipe in Light & Tasty magazine. When I made this I couldn't find the sun-dried tomato pesto sauce mix so I ended up using Knorr Pesto sauce mix and sun-dried tomatoes I chopped fine. I ended up adding 3 more tablespoons mayonnaise as I found it was a bit hard to blend the beans. I found this was much easier to blend in my food processor then in my blender. Also it's best to add the mayonnaise first then the beans.
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans or 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto sauce mix
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- assorted cracker
- In a food processor or blender, combine the beans, mayonnaise, sauce mix and lemon juice; cover and process until blended.
- Serve on crackers.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.