Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegnaomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. This flavorful, rich red dip can be used as a sandwich spread, or as a dip with crunchy wheat crackers or pitas. Especially nice with slices of raw bell pepper or carrots! Please use sundried tomatoes that have not been packed in oil. Fresh basil leaves or roasted garlic can be added as well for a nice variation
- 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup white beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the sundried tomatoes, cover and soak for about 15 minutes.
- In a blender, grind the almonds until they are small crumbs.
- Remove tomatoes from water and reserve soaking liquid.
- Add tomatoes to blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add up to 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the tomato liquid as needed.
- Chill for an hour before serving.
This was really good! We enjoyed it with chips and carrots.
Followed your ingredients & directions right down the line (well, I substituted lemon pepper for the usual S&P, but . . .) & had for myself (AND for my small group) a GREAT TASTING DIP! Thanks for a wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of the teammates in my vegan group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]