Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious sun-dried tomato flavoured cream vegetable pie. You can basically put any veggie (or even chicken if you wanted to). The sauce is also delicious with gnocchi or pasta (minus the mustard and not so many veggies). Everyone I’ve ever made this pie for absolutely loves it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 leek
- 3⁄4 cup semi dried tomatoe (or sun-dried)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (I usually use mushrooms, capsicum, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, shallots, sweet potato, but any ve)
- 1 cup white wine
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- herbs (yr choice)
- frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, to egg wash top pastry dough
- 1 pinch sesame seeds or 1 pinch poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Dice sweet potato and cook in microwave for 2 minutes (or boil until soft).
- Chop up your veggies.
- Heat big pan (I use a flat wok) over medium/high heat and add oil, add garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add chopped Leek, mushrooms, zucchini and asparagus and cook until soft.
- Add sun-dried/semi dried tomatoes and 1 cup of white wine, reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes are soft and start to break up and wine has reduced by at least half.
- Add cream, sherry, mustard and rest of veges including sweet potato (except shallots).
- Bring to boil, then simmer until thickened (if it doesn’t go as thick as you like, add 1 tsp of cornflour to 1tbs of cold water and add). Season with salt and pepper, pinch of sugar and your choice of herbs and shallots.
- Grease a quiche dish and line with frozen puff pastry, add mixture and cover with pastry.
- Egg wash top of pastry and cut two slits through top of pastry to let out hot air. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Put pie in oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Serve with salad and hot Italian bread.
This was really delicious, it just took me ages to make. Made it for guests. Received great compliments. Even from cold serving next day! I didn't use sweet potato or asparagus. Used (not puff) pie crust. Will definately make again.