Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love to serve this bread with brunch or as a side dish for a hearty stew.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped fine
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I like aged)
- 1⁄2 cup olive sun-dried tomato packed in oil, well drained, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup peanut oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in jalapeno, cheddar& chopped tomatoe.
- In a fresh bowl whisk together the eggs,& milk.
- Stir liquids into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the peanut oil.
- do not mix too much.
- Lightly oil a cast iron 8" skillet& heat it until very hot.
- Pour in batter& bake at 400f for apprx 40 minutes.
- You may also use an 8" baking pan but allow longer to bake (approximately 20 minutes longer).