Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The backyard burger goes upscale with the addition of sun-dried-tomatoes and balsamic flavored onions! From Bon Appetit. Prep time does not include 1 hour chill time.
- 3 lbs ground beef (half of ground chuck and sirloin preferred)
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 6 tablespoons oil, reserved from tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated onion
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 onions, halved,thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix ground beef, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons reserved tomato oil, grated onion, dried basil, ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- Form mixture into 8 patties.
- Transfer patties to prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Prepapre barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Heat remaining 4 tablespoons reserved tomato oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions and saute until soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until onions are deep brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- (Can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Wrap in foil and reheat on grill 10 minutes before serving.) Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place 1 burger on bottom half of each bun.
- Top with onions and bun tops and serve.
Yoop- These were yummy! I made no changes except to divide it in half since there are only two of us. I topped each burger with a slice of pepper jack cheese and let it melt before I took them off of the grill. They had a hint of sweetness that was very interesting. A great variation of a plain ol' burger!
Super Dooper Mark from Yooperland! Very tasty burger indeed. I added mushrooms with the onions/balsamic - excellent. Served with Oven Stone Fries and a green salad. Wonderful Saturday night Feast. Thanks for a keeper