Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the best way to make an Italian style, bruschetta burger. I use sun dried tomatoes in place of regular tomatoes. Store bought Pesto is just fine to use for the topping. And please people... do not put oatmeal, breadcrumbs or eggs into this burger or any burger - they do not belong in a burger. Hope you enjoy these as much as we did.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, julienned
- 3 slices whole milk mozzarella, thick slices
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 4 1⁄2 ounces balsamic vinegar, 3 shots
- 3 hamburger buns, french bread hamburger buns
- Combine the ground beef, olive oil (used in place of fat), balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 min to an hour.
- Form 3 equal size patties, about 1/2" thick.
- Coat each side with the Montreal Steak Seasoning, lightly pressing seasoning into patty with fingers. Set aside and heat grill.
- Set grill to med-high heat & oil grill grates with olive oil on a paper towel.
- Grill patties, about 7-8 min per side (or to desired doneness). DO NOT flip often, or press down. This results in the juices running out, thus the burger becoming dry.
- While the burgers are grilling, mix the mayo, pesto and balsamic vinegar in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once burgers are done to your liking, or just about done, place a sheet of foil on the grill and turn the heat up to high. Place the patties on the foil, top with sun-dried tomatoes, then a slice of mozzarella, then some of the chopped basil. Grill until cheese is just starting to melt, about 5-7 minutes.
- At the same time, cut the buns in half, drizzle some olive oil on each inside, and toast on the grill.
- Serve the burgers on the buns with the pesto-mayo.