Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This bread is so packed full of flavor. It smells and tastes like heaven.
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon of coarsley ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, chopped
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving 2 tsp of the oil. Chop the tomatoes and set aside.
- Cook the garlic in a small amount of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain, peel and mash the garlic. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, and the next 3 ingredients stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, cheese and next 4 ingredients stir well.
- Combine the reserved oil, shorting and sugar then beat with a wire wisk until smooth.
- Add the garlic mixture and pine nuts to the flour mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Spread the batter into a greased 8 1/2x4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake 350F for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
This bread smells and tastes absolutely heavenly! With a bowl of soup it is a perfect meal! My 3 coworkers raved about this bread! The directions are abit hard to follow, but I figured it out and was rewarded with a scrumptious loaf of bread!