A luscious sauce with a Mediterranean flair. When creating this, I used Smart Balance (for butter), whole milk, and served it with Trader Joe's alphabet pasta.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- pasta, cooked (shells or penne)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat, and whisk in flour to form a paste.
- Gradually stir in milk until well combined and somewhat thickened.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Increase heat to medium, add sun-dried tomatoes, frozen spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic powder and pepper.
- Stir frequently for several minutes until hot and thickened. (if it seems too thick, add more milk).
- Reduce heat to low, stir in parmesan and cook (stirring frequently) for a minute or two more.
- Salt to taste and stir into individual bowls of pasta.