Recipe by Bergy
This is a Lemon Lovers Heaven they will stand in line for a slice. I love this roll and I don't care all that much for desserts . It is fresh, light and just the right Lemony flavor. It takes a bit of time to make but worth it and you can do it ahead! This roll can be frozen wrapped in plastic & foil, to defrost & serve remove wrap , place on platter & refrigerate for 5 hours Slice & serve
Top Review by s'kat
What a treat this was! After a sort of heavy, Italian-style dinner, this was the perfect way to end the evening. Very lightly textured, with some great crunch from the nuts, and the smooth lemony-filling to pull everything together. Amazingly, there were some leftovers, which I promptly froze and plan to enjoy again soon with a nice, hot cup of tea. Thanks Bergy!
- 1⁄3 cup toasted ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- icing sugar, for sprinkling over the cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a Jelly Roll pan by lining it (17x11-inch) with parchment or waxed paper, lightly greased& floured, set aside.
- Combine nuts, flour & lemon rind.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar for about 3 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow, gently fold in the nut mixture.
- With clean beaters beat the egg whites, when foamy add cream of tartar, continue beating until soft peaks form, beat in the remaining sugar until whites are stiff.
- Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the whites.
- Spread mixture evenly over the prepared pan.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cake springs bake when lightly touched in the middle.
- Let cool on the pan.
- Lemon Syrup: Meanwhile bring lemon juice & sugar to a boil until the sugar dissolves, stir in the run, remove from heat & cool.
- Filling: In a small saucepan simmer lemon rind, juice sugar& butter over medium heat, stirring until the butter melts& sugar has melted.
- Whisk together the eggs, gradually beat in the hot mixture.
- Return to saucepan, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute or until thickened.
- Strain into a small bowl & immediately place plastic wrap over the bowl& refrigerate for 30 minutes (must be cold).
- Whip cream& fold into the lemon filling.
- To assemble: Sprinkle icing sugar over the cake.
- Loosen edges and invert the cake onto a fresh tea towel, peel off the paper, trim crispy edges (if any).
- Sprinkle cake with the syrup.
- Spread the filling over the cake.
- Starting at the short end roll up the cake.
- Place cake on a serving platter, dust lightly with sugar (optional) & serve.