Recipe by JillAZ
This recipe originally came from the cookbook "What's for Dinner?". I've made some changes based on what my family enjoys. This is my FAVORITE way to have zucchini. This is delicious as a side for grilled chicken or fish and is also terrific just by itself.
Top Review by carole in orlando
What a flavorful recipe! I made it as directed, added 3 chicken breasts (using recipe #125751) on top. I used seasoned bread crumbs because that's what I had and baked it for one hour for the chicken. It made a complete meal with a salad. This is such a nice way to use those zucchini and tomatoes that will go bad if not used. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, snipped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute for about 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add sliced zucchini and saute about 5 minutes more.
- Zucchini should be slightly soft.
- Season with salt, black pepper and dill.
- Now for the layers: In the 9 inch square pan, place half of the zucchini mixture.
- Place half of the tomatoes on the zucchini and sprinkle on half of the cheddar cheese.
- Add the rest of the zucchini.
- Then the rest of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese.
- In the same skillet you cooked the zucchini in: melt the butter.
- Add the bread crumbs and toss to coat with the butter.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle the parmesan on top of the bread crumbs.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30- 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- This is just delicious!
- The top gets crusty and the vegetables are tender.