Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Try this rich and refreshing cold soup in the summer when strawberries are at their peak. Lowfat or fat-free sour cream may be substituted. Originally from " America Discovers Columbus" a cookbook from the Junior League of Columbus, Ohio.You may also use blueberries,peaches, or raspberries in place of the strawberries.Prep time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Merlot
Another excellent recipe from Leslie in Texas. I agree with Happy Harry that you want to dig right in before chilling. This is a lovely soup that will certainly please your guests. Thanks again, Leslie in Texas.
- 4 cups mashed strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 -8 whole strawberries (to garnish)
- additional sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat but do not boil the fruit, water,sugar, and lemon juice.
- Combine the cornstarch with about 1/4 cup water and add to the soup, stirring until thickened.
- Chill well.
- Stir in sour cream until smooth and chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with a whole strawberry and a small dollop of additional sour cream and serve.