Recipe by Gwanny Hill
Yummy! A wonderful summertime meal because it's easy to fix, needs no baking and is appealing to the eye. If you're having guests, make cheese sauce ahead of time so that you don't have to fuss with that instead of visiting with your guests.
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers, about 20 crackers
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces jarssliced stuffed olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Put crushed saltines in bottom of 9"x13" ungreased baking dish.
- Prepare lettuce, tomatoes and onion and set aside.
- Layer rice on top of cracker crumbs.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add tomato juice, water, taco seasoning mix, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes to allow some of the liquid to absorb.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt margarine, stir in flour and blend until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir for two minutes.
- Reduce heat, add Velveeta cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Assemble dish by layering beef on top of rice.
- Top with prepared lettuce, tomato and onions.
- Pour cheese sauce over top.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and garnish with the sliced stuffed olives.
- NOTE: Cooking time refers to time for making cheese sauce and browning meat.