1/1 Photo of Summertime Fruit Pancakes With Fresh Cream
Not your ordinary pancakes! These were just great for breakfast - full of fruit. Really just an excuse to eat a lot of lovely, summertime fruit with a 'just there' lighter-than-air batter. Served with freshly-whipped cream and strawberry preserves on the side to smear onto each and every bite - can you say D-I-V-I-N-E???
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- freshly whipped cream (made with 3/4 cup heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitut)
- no sugar added strawberry preserves or jam
- reduced-calorie maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh cherries or 1 cup frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated lemon zest
- 1 banana, sliced (optional)
- 1For whipped cream: Whip the heavy cream with the vanilla extract and Splenda until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, salt, Splenda, and cinnamon. Add the milk, egg yolks, melted butter and lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- 3In another large bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold them into the batter. Gently fold in the pitted cherries and blueberries, lemon zest, and banana (if using).
- 4Generously grease a large, heavy skillet or griddle and heat to medium. For each fruit pancake, drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the griddle and flatten slightly on top with back of spoon. Cook, lifting delicately with tip of spatula to check underside, until golden-brown, and then gently turn over (you may need another spatula to counter-balance) onto other side and cook that one till golden-brown. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- 5Serve with the freshly-whipped cream and strawberry preserves. Syrup is optional, but necessary if you like pancakes really sweet (I was just fine with the cream and preserves).
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summertime Fruit Pancakes With Fresh Cream
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.8
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.5 mg
- Sodium 364.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g