Recipe by Shuzbud
These are very tasty and healthier than beef burgers if you're watching your waistline. The basil really stands out here to give a fresh, summertime flavour.
Top Review by Noo
We really enjoyed this burger...it was moist,velvety and totally delicious.... DH even refrained from sticking cheese and sauce on top of it, so it must have been good!!
My waistline thanks you Shuzbud!!
Made for PRMR.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 lb fresh ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (or more if you love the flavour!)
- 1⁄2 cup hard cheddar cheese, finely grated (2oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- aluminum foil
- 4 burger rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves
- tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Start the barbecue or preheat the grill.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onion, garlic and red bell pepper for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl put the ground turkey, cream cheese, breadcrumbs, fresh basil and cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the pepper and onions and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four and shape into burgers. If you have time, cover and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to let the flavours blend (I skipped this step to save time).
- Place a sheet of foil over the barbecue or grill, or use a baking sheet if preferred- because these burgers are made from a low fat meat, they can break up if not handled carefully, so the foil helps them to stay together. Handle and flip them with care.
- Place the burgers on the barbecue or under a grill, on the foil or baking sheet.
- Cook for 15 minutes, flipping regularly.
- If using a barbecue, remove the foil at this point- after 15 minutes- so the burgers pick up the chargrilled flavour in the next 10 minutes.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes (whether using a barbeque or a grill) or until completely cooked through.
- Prepare the rolls and serve the burgers with lettuce, tomato or your favourite toppings.