Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
In 'American Home Cooking' by Cheryl & Bill Jamison
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 8 large slice white bread
- crisp iceberg lettuce leaf (or leaf lettuce or butter lettuce)
- 12 thick slices bacon, smoky variety, fried crisp
- 8 thick slices large red-ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- Preheat mayonnaise--mix together mayonnaise ingredients in a bowl.
- The sandwiches--toast the bread until golden brown.
- Immediately spread each slice on one side with a full tablespoon of basil mayonnaise.
- Arrange the lettuce on top of the mayonnaise on 4 bread slices, adding enough to show off a green fringe for each sandwich.
- Pile on equal portions of bacon and tomatoes for each sandwich, salting the tomatoes lightly, and add the remaining toast slices.
- Carefully slice each sandwich into halves and serve immediately.