Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots, 2 inches thick
- 1 lb small red potato, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cubed yellow squash, 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- BASIL PUREE: Combine basil and 1 garlic clove in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Add water, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; process until blended.
- Set aside.
- STEW: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over low heat.
- Add bay leaves; cook 1 minute.
- Add onion, 6 garlic cloves, and thyme; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add carrot, potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Add squash, bell pepper, and beans; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme.
- Divide stew into five bowls; drizzle with the basil puree, and sprinkle with Parmesan.