Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
We found the original of this recipe in the 2008 Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups cookbook, then made several changes to it, using more vegetables & making it strictly vegetarian!
- 1 small onion, quartered, slice thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup red potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieced
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender, then add the next 11 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, then stir in celery leaves & tomato paste. Cover & let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I thought this was absolutely terrific! I made two very small changes ~ I did add a little more salt and also fresh Thyme, because I had it in my garden.
This is very colorful and delicious. I wasn't sure what type of peas to use, so I just grabbed some that I had put up this summer, crowder peas, and added those to the recipe. I did add some salt at serving, but if you are used to salt-free cooking, I'm sure you'd be happy with the soup without it. I loved how you could taste the flavors of each individual vegetable.