Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple single crust vegetable pie is perfect for a simple no-meat supper or lunch accompanied with a tossed salad and sweet rolls.
- 3⁄4 cup white flour or 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup rye flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup ice water (may need more or less)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine (or corn oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced (I use a food processor for slicing)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot (I use a food processor for shredding)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded,stemed and chopped roughly,placed in strainer and salted and drained to get rid of excess liq
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley (or cilantro)
- Make crust by sifting flours and salt together in a large bowl. Cut in margarine (or butter) until it resembles corn meal. Blend in water one tablespoon at a time until dough holds together.
- On a floured board, knead dough a few times and then pat it into a thick patty or disc. Place in baggie or wrap in plastic wrap and put in refrigerate for one hour or until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Melt butter (or margarine) in a large skillet over med low heat. Add garlic, onion and celery. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in zucchini, carrots and mushrooms. Continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in peas and corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey, mustard, salt, pepper and sage. Remove from heat.
- Press lightly against vegetable mixture to drain out any excess liquid and discard extra liquid.
- Roll out crust to fit a 9" pie dish or quiche pan (I use a quiche dish).
- Place in dish and trim edges and crimp or make decorative edging.
- Prick bottom with a fork and brush with milk or egg wash if desired. If desired you can precook crust for 10 minutes.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared crust. Cover with tomatoes and cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
- Brush crust edges with milk or egg wash.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (if crust was precooked baking time is 40-45 minutes).
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
A really lovely pie which we all enjoyed immensely. The pastry was easy to make (I'm always a tad wary of pastry recipes but resisted the temptation to use prepared pastry) and it made a great base for this pie. The filling was just totally scrumptious. The only changes I made were to double the garlic and mushrooms and to omit the corn which I'm not too fond of. I also added some fresh thyme to the sage. Having erred on the side of generosity with several of the vegetables, I used a 12" pie dish. I had slightly upped the pastry ingredients in anticipation of my inevitably doing this! I opted for pre-cooking the pie crust. Thank you ellie_ for a wonderful celebration of summer vegetables. I'll be making this again, probably adding eggplant and some sweet red pepper, and doubling the recipe when I do, as from my experiences of freezing, this should freeze extremely well indeed.