Recipe by Rex Gerhardt
I love this for get-togethers as a vegetable side dish. Use garden fresh vegetables whenever possible. I can eat half the pan myself but I suppose you could feed 10 people if they only took a serving spoon full each. You can use more or less tomatoes and zucchini depending how tight you squeeze them and how big your dish is.
- 6 zucchini (4-6inch)
- 6 meaty tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium aubergine
- 1 bunch fresh oregano
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- olive oil, as needed
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated to cover
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375° Heat small amount of oil in pan.
- Add diced onion and cubed aubergine, cook until softened.
- Spread mixture across bottom of gratin dish.
- Tear oregano leaves and sprinkle over mixture.
- Slice tomatoes and zucchini with mandolin.
- Placing them alternately on top of mixture.
- They should nearly be standing up.
- Strip thyme leaves, sprinkling generously over vegetables.
- Salt& pepper to taste Drizzle over oil Bake 20 minutes, sprinkle grated cheese over, and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese melts.
- Cover until ready to serve.